£30 one-off fee, no formal approval by the Court. Must be in the early stages of your career. This offer gives access to certain Company events for up to five years.
- Access to networking events and opportunities at your level – online, locally and in London, at major optical events
- Exclusive Facebook group for Journeymen to socialise and network.
- Discussions and advice from wider company members
- Regular newsletters and updates
- Ability to take up full membership of the Company (Freedom) within 5 years, at a discounted rate
The first full membership level. All applications have to be approved by our Court. You must be either a member of an optical profession, be recommended by existing members (we can help here), or hold the right to apply for membership by patrimony through your mother or father. Initial admission costs £150 for at least 1 full year. After that, Freeman pay an annual subscription fee, currently £130 per year.
- Membership of the oldest vision-related organisation in the world. You will form part of a line of people who have supported vision in a heritage dating back over 400 years.
- Access networking events with 900 optical professionals across the globe
- Regular ‘Eye-to Eye’ events on professional, CIty and general topics. These are discussions, not webinars so you have a direct line to Ask The Expert
- Automatic membership of The Spectacle Makers’ Society – Informal events to make friends and build contacts in the Company and beyond. Friends and family welcome
- Annual Freemen’s event in one of London’s hidden historic venues
- Fast Track to Freedom of the City of London
- Give back through our Spectacle Makers’ Charity enabling young professionals and incredible optical charities working to support better vision for all
Admission to the Livery, our highest level, is by invitation only based upon skills and commitment to the Company’s purpose of seeking better vision for all. To be considered, you must already be a Freeman of the Company and a Freeman of the City of London. This represents a major commitment by every individual and by the Company and places are limited so there is an admission fee of £900. The annual subscription payment (Quarterage) is £350.
- As well as all the benefits of Freedom, Liverymen can become more involved in how the Company runs, through Committees, working groups and being eligible to serve as Trustees of The Spectacle Makers’ Charity.
- Eligible to be elected to the Court of the Company and progress to higher office, maybe even becoming Master.
- Expanded networking. Liverymen can invite colleagues and business contacts as guests to exclusive events in venues not otherwise open to the public. The Livery offers a unique experience.
- Become involved in the workings of the City of London – vote in the annual elections for Sheriffs of the City of London and for the election of the Lord Mayor, in one of the oldest ceremonies in the world, at Common Hall in Guildhall.
- Attend the Court Luncheons held each quarter and the annual Livery Dinner and have priority for any formal Gregorie Dinners held outside London.
- More opportunities to represent the Company and be invited to cross-Livery events exclusive to the highest members of the Liveries across London. Become part of a network of some of the best connected professionals in the country.